Our unique programme combines elements of two key areas:
• ‘Creative drama’ uses a variety of activities to develop spontaneity, imagination, focus, confidence, verbal, physicality.
• ‘Stagecraft drama’ places an emphasis on vocal projection and clarity, acting techniques, text as the basis for characterisation, and physical staging.
Designed to harness your natural acting abilities, this integrated approach helps students develop these core skills. Students are actively encouraged to contribute ideas to the group, as well as be receptive to those contributed by others. Within this framework, the rehearsal director will work with students using a structured curriculum to develop performing skills and rehearse their performing pieces.
- Rehearse each week with a professional drama director.
- Develop language and public speaking skills.
- Perform in fully staged theatrical productions each semester.
- Gain opportunities to progress as your skills develop.
- Extend your range as an actor
Specially commissioned plays uniquely for VYT students
One of the unique and special aspects of training with the VYT is the opportunity to perform original plays written specifically for our students by established Australian artists. VYT students have the added priviledge of access to these writers during the term and being able to hear their motivations, interact with the writers and experience first-hand how the plays may change through the rehearsal and creative process. Performance repertoire is selected from these plays, and other existing works, according to the age and ability of the students.